Saturday 19 January 2013

Game of Thrones Quilt in ALL its glory!

Have some (hundreds) of pics of this beauty:

Game Of Thrones Quilt - finished! WOOHOO!

 This is the finished article, please excuse the light - it is Scotland in January after all. Even at 2 in the afternoon daylight is limited, esp when the day is overshadowed by snow clouds. (Hardly any snow though, a few flakes fell, as if to say 'See this? This is a wee sample of what I'm doing to the South MWAHAHAHA!')


Game of Thrones reverse side - showing quilting
You probably can't see this very well, but the blocks were quilted and the sashings left alone. I don't usually do this but I liked the idea of separating them out this way.


Game of Thrones backing close-up

Game of Thrones backing close-up

Behind the scenes of the photoshoot
I made my Hubby (red jacket) and daughter help me take the photos - Katie was standing on the wall and they were both struggling (Hubby has Post-Viral Chronic Fatigue, but tried manfully, bless, to keep his arms up) when Brian our neighbour rushed over to help - lovely man!



Martell - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Arryn - As High as Honour

Greyjoy - We Do Not Sow

Lannister - Hear Me Roar!

Baratheon - Ours Is The Fury

Tyrell - Growing Strong

Tully - Family, Duty. Honour

Targaryen - Fire And Blood
I quilted in the House Mottoes first, then filled in the rest of the block. I tried to keep the quilting sympathetic, although you can't see it as well as I'd like in the pics. The Lannister one has quilted pebbles to represent gold coins; the Greyjoy has waves to represent the sea; Tyrell has flowers; most of the rest are stippled cos you can't go wrong with a good stipple!










A close-up of some of the quilting - I had great fun doing this one :)

You can just make out my wee label in the binding, Handmade By Fankle
I am really chuffed with how it finished. I used a 2" binding rather than my usual 2.5" because the wadding is quite thin. The fabrics were all washed before use (Ha! Not making that mistake again!) and even so, a couple of Colour Catchers were still dark when I took the quilt out of the machine.

The corners mitred beautifully, and I think the sashing really works with the blocks; dots were just right I think - I couldn't find a plain fabric of the right colour that would tie in without being too strong and a patterned one wouldn't have fitted with the rest of the design. I used an applique stitch to edge the designs which were stuck down with craft spray. I thought about needle-turn but the corners were far too intricate for me, but hopefully the stitches won't let it Frey (ha). 

All done. *Happy Sigh.*

Now only 2 more to finish for my other lovely customers.......


But first I think I'll have a wee snack and a read of my book (John Connolly)


Thanks for looking!
         xxxxxx



14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try this again and see if I can spell properly:
    This quilt looks fabulous. I don't really get the Game of Thrones references, but my husband (who has read and watched the series) does and he thinks this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much :D I really enjoyed making it, and its my first foray into applique too - nothing like jumping in at the deep end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am gob smacked, this is YOUR FIRST APPLIQUE?? Seriously? Incredible, I think my favorite block is the three headed dragon, I just finished season one, hubby is getting me season two next month, LOVE IT! <3
    ~ Tabatha at BendingPins.com ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment! Yeah, first proper applique - nothing like going in at the deep end, eh? I really enjoyed it, and every new block was my favourite as I made it :)
      Cant wait for the next book to come out, come on George!

      Delete
  5. I don't know Game of Thrones at all,
    but I like the quilt design never the less.
    It's a calm and structured design that lets the symbols take centrestage. Very well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans very much! GOT is a great series of books, now a tv series, and I personally love it, but realise fantasy with plots, swords and intrigue isn't for everyone :)
      I liked the idea of the Standards being very distinct and stand-alone, and the simplicity of the solids and the clarity of the emblems lets that happen. I am very pleased with how it turned out, and believe it is being appreciated in it's new home :D

      Delete
  6. This is AM-A-ZING!!!! I am about to embark on a geeky quilt for my son to take off to uni with him & am looking for inspiration, now I'm too scared to show him this as I think it is WAY beyond my meagre skills! I'm off to see if you have more info on how you made it etc. in previous posts but couldn't leave this one without a comment! WOW! What an awesome quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow just found your blog while trying to find inspiration for a quilt like this. Incredible applique, you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thats very kind of you :) Really enjoyed making it, and I'm very glad it turned out the way it did - I'm a quite experienced quilter but not had much practice at applique, but by taking it one bit at a time, it worked out well!

      Delete
  8. Wow just found your blog while trying to find inspiration for a quilt like this. Incredible applique, you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this quilt! I've been fiddling with the idea of doing my own for me.. but I'm not much of a quilter... guess it doesn't hurt to learn :) This give me hope! The closest I've done to something like this is a knitted GoT blanket. :) This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you :) Don't be put off by applique - before this the only thing I'd done was a Hello Kitty for my daughter's gym bag! It's all done one block at a time, so if you do the easy ones first it gives you confidence for the rest. I really enjoyed the lion and the kraken :) Go for it and good luck!
      And where can we see your blanket, btw? x

      Delete
  10. I adore this, how it turned out! I have been daydreaming a similar design, and in theory, would like to do the quilting with gold or silver metallic thread just to add to the effect. You did a spectacular job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - I love hearing from you!