Tuesday 12 June 2012

4 hours of quilting so far

That post title first came up as 'wilting', and after 4 hours I reckon I have had enough for just now. Going well so far, no puckers or folds (touch wood, cross fingers, chuck salt over shoulder, kiss the cat, etc) and the stipple effect is looking good.

I'm quite happy to stay stippling for now, although I do have an occasional foray into straight lines. I like the overall background effect of the stipple, how it looks like a scribble but doesn't detract from the main theme which, for me, is the colour. I LOVE the colours in quilting. The richness, depth, bouyancy and life of a mix of colours is what it's all about, I reckon.

And here's some shots to document the process:

Light slightly blue on this one, not sure why, but work going on. The machine was red hot by the time I'd finished today!











My sewing machine feet :)




I like to sew barefoot.
It seems I can work the pedal better.














More of the quilting. I use ordinary rubber gloves to move the quilt around, they have good grip and are inexpensive. Only trouble is, they give your hands a horrible rubbery smell. How we suffer for our art!

I've used 7 bobbins, with less than half of the quilting done. Stippling is heavy on the thread, but worth it in the end. I should have some more bobbins really, but find that by doing 3 at a time, I can have a good break when winding some more on.

I also sit on a gym ball when at the sewing machine, which really helps during a long session. When you start ot stiffen, just lean back and roll around for a bit, it really helps :)

More later then, peeps....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - I love hearing from you!