Monday 11 March 2013

Blankets seem appropriate...

...given that the country has been blanketed with snow for much of the last day or two. Our blanket in Ayrshire has come, gone, come again and is currently hardening under a beautiful clear night sky. At least the stars look breathtaking, so you don't really notice that you're freezing your tits off :)

Anyway. I've made a few blankets over the years, itseems to be something I keep on as low-key background knitting, and I don't mind that they take a while. I can just pick them up, do a few rows, blocks, whatever, and put them down again until it suits me better another time. Some have taken months, and some over a year to do, but I love mindless knitting every so often.

So have some pictures :) There are still a few I've not got photos of so will get round to that soon. I love the crochet one, but they all have a (warm) place in my heart!

This beauty was done on size 3.25mm needles - yes you read right - with Rowan Felted Tweed. I started with the green square block in the centre and carried on out from there. Took well over a year, and just over 23 balls of yarn. Finished size 54" x 72" roughly.
Detail of the ridges - remember every ridge of garter stitch is TWO rows knitted. I must be mad...
Edging was 2 rows of the dark turquoise all the way round:


The crochet one:

This one's about 40" x 65", adore the colours in this.

And my current blanket-in-progress:
Obviously I have had a log cabin love frenzy, but they are very satisfying. This one is Noro Kureyon, shade 161 which reminds me of a Scottish moorland. Love the mix of hues, the brights and the muted, the unexpected interplay of seemingly unrelated shades; unrelated until you look out onto a moor and go 'Oh yeah! I see it now!' This one will finish up at around 4 feet x 6 feet I think.

More soon :D


5 comments:

  1. Wow, just WOW! I love these blankets but I just would not have the patience to do what you've done! Especially on tiny needles! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Stops me going mad, to do a few rows here and there. Saves the family having to dodge a few bullets when am tense. Am amazed the blankets dont rear up and garotte folk, the amount of tension they have to absorb! :D

      Delete
  2. I too have a log cabin love affair and your colours are truely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm...that felted tweed blanket looks heavenly!

    and you're making me want to knit with Noro again...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - I love hearing from you!